Saturday, August 18, 2007

Fetuses

Fetuses were one of my great obsessions as high school drew to a close. I was drawn to the idea of being birthed into the real world, going to college. Last night, for the first time in a long while, I dreamt of fetuses. But, unlike times past, I was no longer the unspecific clay-like zygote; I was birthing this parasite. Or, at least as I recall, I was trying to find a safe place, like any other mammal, to drop that which I was carrying. I don't remember who was there, why I was on the run, why I had no place safe and welcoming...so, somewhere along some dunes, on a beach, I dropped my offspring, red and bloody it slipped from me, painlessly (or maybe I only remember it that way), and looked like something alien. Something from another planet. Which many mammals look like before they are ready for the world as well. It was so bizarre, surreal. The day after, it looked human, pleasant, pink and soft and warm, but no longer something frightening like it was.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a cool dream. To me, it evokes my fear of leaping into the unknown, and also learning to accept myself in all my strangeness and ugliness.

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback, questions, and commentary are always welcome here!

Elle's shared items